Please note that the Roman Gym will be temporarily closed between January – March 2022. This is due to public realm improvement works taking place on York Street just above the site of the Gym. The Gym will reopen in spring 2022.
Discover a new attraction at the Roman Baths; the Roman Gym. Journey back in time and walk amongst newly excavated remains, never-before seen by the public!
This area will take you into the courtyard where ancient visitors worked out to keep fit and healthy prior to heading into the Baths themselves.
The Gym contains:
- The remains of an ancient sauna (a laconicum)
- The remains of the paved courtyard the Romans would have used
- One of the best preserved doorways from Roman Britain.
In this new area, visitors will see and hear:
- Projections showing Romans and the exercises they would have done in this area.
- Audio commentary explaining Roman exercises and their attitude to health and medicine.